Tuesday, March 25, 2008

It's all over & WMC

A huge chunk of Antarctic ice collapsed today.

Well, Miami, I'll tell you one thing. It's been a good run. If you stick around much longer, we might all just end up dying of skin cancer anyway, toasting away in the sweet afternoon sun. That, or maybe we'd perish from the repulsion that is the boring, annual electronic festival: the Winter Music Conference.

I understood when WMC was cool in the late 90s, when I saw Roni Size and Daft Punk perform- that shit was cool. Then I took it in stride when things turned completely lame, and there was nothing I wanted to hear at the Conference. However, now, as it gains momentum again, I just am confused. I thought the rave days died, but actually, they just morphed into this amorphous scene with terribly poorly dressed, white Fresh Prince of Bel Air-lookalikes, girls with ironed hair and bags under their eyes that say I'll blow you in the bathroom for coke and Euro-trash Europeans, all dancing to tremendously boring music. I will admit that some of the parties will probably be fun and some music danceable, but I just, overall, don't get it.

I think that what really irks me is Ultra. I would see Justice somewhere at some point, but, seriously, I gave up hanging out with people without colds or allergies or pneumonia sniffing Vicks, in 2001, at the latest. I don't understand how many times you can see Paul Van Dyk play and not want to shoot yourself. I mean, it was fun in NYC in '99, but Miami Beach '08, no way.

Drum and Bass is DEAD. It was fun at Mission on Thursday nights, but it is very much a genre that needs to become silent. I'm sorry to repeat myself, but I'm just so confused about the whole thing. Did people not get it 10 years ago and they're just catching on now, or have they been into it this whole time, neglecting all new musical acts that have emerged over the last decade?

Please don't be offended, my friends who love WMC. I still respect you. I care about you. I just think it's time to move on.

No comments: