Tuesday, April 22, 2008

Earthly Love.

Happy Earth Day! Don't forget about Mother Earth, ever. She's good stuff.

I must say that the obsessive-compulsive hoarding behavior I saw in my Aunt Nancy and my mother really did teach me about conservation. Mind you, they call it being thrifty. I always just thought they were cheap, and they are, but they also have a few good ideas. To make your life "greener," just turn to those people, like my fam, who reuse everything. Those who buy used dishes, who will grab your old couch from the trash for their living room and only give away their crappy, old worn couch to someone who really needs it and will use it till it's in tatters. These are the people who wash out and reuse sandwich baggies. Learn from them, and then you'll get part of the idea.

Thinking about what you put in your body is probably the most important thing you can do that will affect your quality of life. Barbara Kingsolver's Animal, Vegetable, Miracle is an inspirational book that gives you every freaking reason you should stick to eating food that was grown locally. Seasonal foods taste better, organic eating is better for the environment and eating locally saves the ozone because it limits the use of fossil fuels (tomatoes in January are tasteless and they come all the way from a pesticide ridden California greenhouse. Ew).

Something I actually think about much of the day is changing all the regular crap bulbs in my life to energy-efficient compact fluorescent light bulbs (CFLs). For the love of God, it's like the easiest thing to do, and you never have to change your light bulbs. I hate changing light bulbs as much as I loathe pumping gas (especially at $4.00 a gallon). But until I get a gigantic raise, I'm stuck pumping a load of gas into my old lady sedan. That's all I've got right now. Oh, and I gave out trees for X-mas on
http://www.arborday.org/.

Peace, love and trees.


No comments: