Sunday, March 8, 2009

Keys Weekend

I had a wonderful and exciting opportunity to hit a few of the Florida Keys last weekend. I didn't roam further south than Lower Matecumbe, an island that I hadn't spent much time on in the past, but which I enjoyed greatly. I sort of screwed up and my pictures won't upload, but you get the idea.


There are many reasons Miamians don't visit the Keys often enough. I think the main one is - where the fuck do you stay when you're there? I was invited by two spectacular people to crash the 60th birthday party of one of their fathers, someone I had never met. We stayed at a furnished house that's on the market, across the street (in case you're looking to buy). Both places were on canals. It was, in a word or three, chill as fuck.

The hosts were kind and generous with their booze, champagne and beer. A sort of Keys kindness harder to find on the mainland. The party was also catered by a place on Islamorada called Spanish Gardens Cafe, and the food was delicious. We went out on the boat the next day. That is the way to live. I mean, given that you have some money and a shit ton of leisure time. A great option.

The middle picture is of a strange giant yoni, you might recognize as a conch shell, but which is actually a huge vagina at Theater of the Sea.




Have any of you stayed at the Islander? I want to sleep under the sign it's so awesome.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I remember that Islander sign from when I used to go out to the Keys fishing with my dearly departed Pops. Has that time warp, 70s Seaquarium feel to it.

- Rog

Tere said...

I've stayed across the street from the Islander...

I don't care for Key West, but b/w Key Largo and Islamorada, I find that I feel happy and at peace. Must get back soon...

zak said...

love that my dad is immortalized here, you can crash my party anytime baby