Thursday, March 25, 2010

Do something good, Miami

After I completed my graduate work, I spent a whole lot of time volunteering and looking for a job. It was right after September 11, and there was no work for me anywhere, except at the makeup counter at Bloomingdales. Luckily though, a coworker at Bloomies handed my resume over to her sister who worked at a non-profit, Human Services Coalition (HSC). When I went in for my interview, it turned out a bunch of my anti-war (pro-peace) buddies were either working there or were on the board. “Score!” thought I.

I did end up getting the job and working there for almost three years. I went from being the Kidcare assistant to the policy coordinator, and few other things in between. Although HSC experienced all of the trials of a grassroots non-profit, the organization was always steered in the right direction by the staff and by Executive Director, Daniella Levine.

Daniella made sure that HSC was always a nurturing environment, one that encouraged open-dialogue and growth. All of the stress of working under grants and with the South Florida community were manageable because you always knew that you were working for the most just causes and that you were moving forward and developing as a worker and as an individual.

When I worked at HSC on healthcare policy issues, a bill like the one just signed into law on Tuesday (YAY!) by President Obama was merely a fantastical dream under a double Bush administration (we had one as governor too at that time). Thanks in part to the hard work of people like Daniella and her staff, this dream entered the heads of many other people and finally developed into a reality. I takes a lot of energy to do the right thing and to get others to understand your cause and to support it. HSC values advocacy and action, American values that sometimes become lost in the aftermath of a long, crappy day at work.

Come tonight to HSC’s Open Door – Open House and learn about an organization that has given so much to the South Florida community. Their new offices are located at 1900 Biscayne Blvd, Ste 200, and the reception will take place from 6-9 p.m.

1 comment:

swampthing said...

you'll are part of the solution