Wednesday, March 31, 2010

But there's like stuff there, right, bro?

A few things I'm thinking about right now are:
*Babies Os Mutantes and the great versions of "Baby." Here you go.

*I hate quotes. They're usually so trite and too much a weak attempt at actual wisdom. You can make a small point in a fortune cookie, but the message isn't going to cure your insomnia. It's like putting a McDonald's where Ferrara's was, or something remarkably tasteless like that.
With that in mind, Joseph Campbell quotes are not as good as reading the whole of each of his books, but good ol' Joe really had a way of cutting to the chase.

Here are a few nicely said words by JC (whoa, didn't realize that was coming). They're all about the good stuff, the stuff that makes sense - fear, courage, paths. Super mythical and mystical.

"The big question is whether you are going to be able to say a hearty yes to your adventure." (Yes.)
"Myths are public dreams, dreams are private myths." (for religious studies and anthro nerds)
"The goal of life is to make your heartbeat match the beat of the universe to match your nature with Nature." (Go Inner Mother Earth!)
"You enter the forest at the darkest point, where there is no path. Where there is a way or path, it is someone else's path. You are not on your own path. If you follow someone else's way, you are not going to realize your potential." (to which I quote Queensryche's Silent Lucidity, "Hush now, don't you cry, wipe the teardrop from your eye." Oh, courage.)

*Laf How much I love The Awl, which makes me laugh out loud daily. Alesh wrote a little something about it, and I'm not in the mood to elaborate, except to say that I am very thankful to laugh. Also, as a liker of pretty boys, this was enlightening.

*Dyslexic Heart A guy at the Wilco show was wearing a Paul Westerberg tour tee. I was tickled, because, as you might know, my favorite soundtrack ever (ever) is that of a film called Singles. I also couldn't see when the last Westerberg tour was, but I looked it up, 2005. At first, I wondered - who would go to a Paul Westerberg show in Miami, and they I realized, duh, me and that guy, and maybe a few of you old bags and music nerds (that's right, nerds). Bring it on, Paul.

*Who's going to do gross right now? According to the NYT, Motel 6 is being redone to look like every other crappy boutique hotel in the western world. Where will I enjoy scratchy, puke-stained, velour sheets now? Why are we so intent upon removing all unique personality from corporate America? The point of chains is that they are reliably inferior to local businesses and every time you go into one, you know exactly what to expect, since they never change and all look the same, and that you will not receive the best of anything. I'm disgusted and am never staying at a Motel 6 again, unless it's the cheapest available hole conveniently located off of I-95.

Finally, how great is this webpage? Answer: great.

1 comment:

roofless said...

I was in a record store once when the English version of "Baby" came on and I couldn't hold back asking the clerk "what's playing right now?" I felt like that Beta Band sucker in High Fidelity.