Sunday, June 14, 2009

Hoofin' it in Albuquerque


We had to take I-40 back again past Holbrook to get to Albuquerque. Unfortunately for Chris, Jimmy and I can't see at night, so he had to drive through the torrential rain for hours. By the time we got to our destination, we were all exhausted beyond belief. We spent the night at the Hilton, which was quite a little charmer for an airport hotel. I think Hilton sheets are nice and their beds are comfy. I really am serious. 

I was certain we'd see a land of Native Americans the second we entered Oklahoma. I mean, isn't that where the Trail of Tears ended? I was proven very wrong though, the Natives all live in New Mexico. Not to sound like an ignorant slut, but it was really a pleasure to be around people that weren't white, black or Hispanic. I'm sort of over all of the rest of us. Maybe I should relocate to a reservation.  

In Albuquerque, the overpasses are painted bright pink and turquoise. The downtown area features a huge Wells Fargo building (I think Wells Fargo owns the nation west of the Mississippi), and then a nice row of theaters and motels along Route 66 (Neko Case was performing there just days after we left!). Our favorite sight was the Library Bar & Grill, featured up there. Massive books featuring Lord of the Onion Rings, A Midsummer Night's Drink, Tequila Mockingbird? Awesome. We didn't go in or anything, but the outside was good enough. 

The old town was delightful, to use a Liptonian word. We visited three cities in New Mexico, and all three had old towns with city squares. Santa Fe's was the busiest and most touristy and the square in Las Cruces had the most rustic, desert feel, this one was a nice mix of the both. This is San Felipe de Neri Church which has been an active place of prayer since 1793. There was a baptism going on inside while we were there. 
We ate sopaipillas at La Hacienda which was housed in a building that's been occupied since 1706. These babies are delicious, they're like fry bread or chalupas. We poured honey on them for desert, and I swear I dreamt about eating one yesterday. If you know where I can get one in Miami, PLEASE let me know! Thanks.I held the waitress' tray while she acted as photographer. She was an amusing lady. 
Jim and I chipped in and bought my mom a birthday gift from Joe the Navajo; his name is stamped on the back of the ring. Most of those selling jewelry on the street are Navajo, Zuni or Hopi. They had so many beautiful pieces, I was actually very sad to be as broke as I was. I'm not a psycho consumer, but this was one of those moments I wanted more of these possessions. Maybe that's how the conquistadores felt? Bad joke. 
This guy and his wife, Shelley Morningsong, put on a performance for us. His costume was obviously outta this world, and Shelly was winner of the debut artist of the year at the Native American Music Awards. 

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

You can get Sopapillas at this place called "Miscalzoncillos" down south near Homestead

-Catingle

Emily Sue said...

That food looks amazing. Salivating as we speak.