Thursday, August 28, 2008

London 1: Harrods - Afternoon Tea and Many Muslims


I had afternoon tea in the Georgian Restaurant in Harrods last weekend. Appropriately, the inside is decorated in the Georgian style, however, we opted to sit on the terrace which was really lovely and bright. The tea was pricey, but worth it for the Harrods experience. This experience includes the intoxicatingly delicious raisin scones with clotted cream (seen below) and an inordinate number of wealthy Muslim ladies who were binge shopping. I'm part Lebanese, though not Muslim (go Maronites!), so I can say whatever I want about my own people. Harrods is owned my Mohamed Al-Fayed, an Egyptian whose son died with Princess Diana. I guess he's doing a great job marketing to his people, because there were more 'rabs in Harrods than in Dubai. They're rich as shit and I really don't understand how many $3,000 purses and $500 pairs of underwear you can actually buy. All they wear are black drapes, so you know they're not getting DVF dresses. Every time I see one, I just want to take their credit card and What Not to Wear on them. However, there were some lovely Arabs with style. If you'll notice, my favorite swathed lady can be seen in the background, below the clotted raisin heaven. She's talking to the ugly version of Carson from Queer Eye, who we couldn't stop laughing about. It was a good scene.



mmmm....

1 comment:

Emily Sue said...

Yummmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm. Funny.