Sunday, September 27, 2009

flying carpets, bro

I made way over to the Art Center South Florida on Lincoln Road a week ago and I really enjoyed the show. The Flying Carpet consists of four works by husband and wife duo Pip and Duane Brant. If you know me, you know I love some embroidery and a lot of politics, and as you can see here, there's a little of both in the exhibition. There's Iraq on a flying carpet, and up there is a Black Hawk helicopter. Ah, stitching and war, makes me feel fuzzy inside.

Each work is interactive, at least I think they are. The grove of crocheted palm trees attached like marionettes to strings seems to be on a timer. The sewing machines are all instruments and you use the pedals to make some noise. I thought the whole thing was pretty neat. That's all I have to say.

No comments: