Tuesday, May 20, 2008

A few local and world updates

I want to start by letting everyone know that my strong, brilliant, beautiful Lebanese sista, Diane Rehm, will be speaking in Downtown Miami this Thursday, May 22, 2008. If you don't know about her and her sad, strange, shaky voice, please tune into 91.3, WLRN, the local NPR station (for those of you who just learned to read), at 10a.m. on weekdays. Click on her for tickets.

Tragedies in the news:
Senator Ted Kennedy has a brain tumor. Those poor Kennedys. American royalty.
Patrick Swayze is going to die soon from pancreatic cancer.
An earthquake wiped out at least
13,000 people in China last week in the Sichuan Province. I need to tell you why I think China will never become the world's superpower, and this incident is reflective of my reasoning.
A cyclone in
Myanmar killed more than 100,000 people.


More fun stuff:
My super cool friend Henry was promoting this, I imagine he'll be making beautiful music:
GOLD DUST LOUNGE, Friday June 6, 2008 at 7:00 PM, Books & Books, 265 Aragon Ave, Coral Gables

From sweatrecordsmiami.blogspot.com, a few highlights:
Friday, May 23
--STUDIO A: YO MAJESTY 7pm, tickets: $12 in advance, $15 day of show. 60 NE 11th St.
--RAG*TRADE: Sweat Records welcomes the newest member of it's retail family. Come to the grand re-opening!! myspace.com/ragtradeco
Monday, June 2
--STUDIO A: NADA SURF perform live!! Tickets $15, 7pm. 60 NE 11th St.
Monday, June 9
--VAMPIRE WEEKEND, Tickets $20 at Sweat Records, Fillmore, 1700 Washington Ave.

There is a ton more stuff on there, including George Michael in August (I'm going). Check it out.

Some good news for your inner demons. I hear that a new Gothic party will be starting at the Upper East Side Garden, I believe the first Friday of the month! And like they'll be playing the good, dark shit, no Marilyn Manson baloney. I'll keep you updated.

No comments: